Tuesday 15 September 2015

Flower Power



Hello Spring, how I heart you so! The sun is back shining bright, the days are less chilly & the flowers are a wonderful kaleidoscope of colours. Which brings me to one of my favourite style options; florals. Or in this case florals on florals on florals.


Lets talk about this hat/beanie/turban. Im crazy mad about its originality. It reminds me of a 50's style swimming cap.

The floral skirt was originally an outdated nana style dress that I hacked up to make an elasticated skirt. Teamed with the old faithful white blouse complete with lovely embroidery & scallop collar. It feels good to get out of my usual last trimester uniform of baggy stretchy tops & leggings.


Have you heard of the slow clothing movement? I read this article the other day about Jane Milburn's "Sew it again" project where for all of 2014, instead of buying new clothes she reimagined (upcycled) clothes she had bought at op shops. Im no stranger to altering opshop clothes to make them more fitted/fashionable so it's great that she inspired a legion of people to choose upcyling over disposable fast fashion.
I embrace slow fashion in my own way of purchasing a handful (per year, I started this at the beginning of 2014) of preloved clothes mainly from op shops/markets & try to get the most wear out of them. Although I have had a few slip ups on new purchases on shoes, these Harriet slides last year & I then chose these Wittner wraparound sandals for my last birthday gift from Luke (yes we choose our own gifts, lol).
I have been really good thru this pregnancy & only bought 3 preloved stretchy oversized tops that I can still wear comfortably once I give birth. I cant wait to fit back into my pants/jeans (how I miss you so!)
Have you embraced slow fashion or upcycle preloved clothes too?

 
Happy Wednesday friends!
Grace




2 comments:

  1. Hi Grace, it is great to know the slow clothing message is resonating in WA. Thanks for writing such a lovely post about it and my Sew it Again year. I love your refashioned pregnancy dress - looks fabulous and comfy too. I post regularly on facebook.com/textilebeat ... keep in touch

    ReplyDelete