Thursday 9 October 2014

DIY: Pineapple zip bag

 
Lately I cant get enough of craft projects, something to stimulate my creative juices. Plus I wanted to practice sewing zippers so I thought why not make something useful like a funky zip bag/pouch.
 
 
A few things I used; leftover denim fabric, scrap retro fabric offcuts, ribbon, metallic embroidery thread & yarn, zip, thread, metallic sewing machine needles, scissors, thread, sewing machine zipper foot & sewing machine.
 
 
1. First of all I measured the halfway mark of the fabric then positioned the top of the pineapple ribbon, pinned & sewed. As I used metallic ribbon as the "pineapple top" I used the metallic thread to sew it & had to swap sewing machine needles to the metallic needles.
 
 
 
 
2. Next I did a rough lay on where I was going to sew the yarn on the "pineapple". I cut out a pineapple shape & zigzagged the yarn on in lines. I then pinned the pineapple on the denim & zigzagged around the edges to secure it onto the denim. I sewed all this with the metallic embroidery thread (which can be a bugger to sew with as it frays every now & then but it looks pretty).
 
 
3. After swapping machine needles back to the normal one & changing machine feet to the zipper foot. I sewed a zipper in. (I didn't iron or interface the zip thou as in the instructions...).
 
 
4. I have zero patience for setting up an overlocker, changing threads then working out the correct thread tension to suit the fabric. So the french seam was perfect for the zip bag. The seams were a bit bulky as I used denim but looked very neat once sewn. I sewed the sides first then the bottom.
 
 
Tada! I was originally going to use this bag to store electronic stuff but made it a tiny bit too small (bugger) so I will be using it for a library book bag for when Kobe & I go on our weekly visit.
 
 
Happy Friday friends!
 
Grace
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment