Sunday 2 August 2015

Living without a credit card 6 months on & with baby 2# on the way


Well we made it to the 6 month mark of getting rid of the credit card. It wasn't a decision we made lightly but Im sure glad we did. And guess what? Even thou I HATED receiving the council rates, Lukes phonebill & the electricity bill all within a couple days of eachother, we managed to pay them off in full without relying on a credit card. It was lovely to not have to stress (for once) on where to find the money to pay it.

I shared a few tips on how we save money in this post. I have a few more tips. The definite key is to stick to your budget. So if you haven't got one, make one!!! Otherwise if you live outside your means your going to end up in massive debt (we have friends who have over $40K owed on credit cards, the interest on that would bankrupt us).

Keep motivated. I find the following sites are so inspirational.
Down to earth is a blog run by Rhonda who is the grandma of all things simple living. She practises what she preaches. I find it motivating to see what she creates as opposed to just reading words about what you can do to lead a simpler life.
The Minimalists- food for thought in a consumer driven society. I took up the 30 day minimalism challenge but only made it to day 16...
Ecoburbia is more based towards a sustainable lifestyle. You can view Shani Graham speech on taking a street & building a community.

Also hit up these articles to get you into gear; Zen habits "financial care" (except I wouldn't invest any savings but that's me), I did my own version of this Inked in colour "buy nothing new" project & I think kudos to the city family of Free our kids who in this post went to live in an off grid community for a week. (Honestly Im not sure if we would make it past day 3).

Ask friends for advice, my neighbour had a winner about taking advantage of "kids eat free meals". I never even knew Cicerellos (Fremantle) had a Tuesday offer of kids eating free. Sizzler has a Sunday kids eat breakfast deal free (offer for WA & QLD until 30/08/15 with a paid Adult breakfast). A few ladies from a Facebook budget group Im in let me know about Hogs Breath cafe has kids eat free on Monday nights with a purchase of an adult meal over $20 (at participating cafes). Outback Jacks (Fremantle, Whitsford & Cannington) offer kids meals for $5 (conditions apply).

Make use of your local library. I discovered a paperback swap at the local library so I can swap a book I already own (that's been collecting dust on the shelves) for another one (or I can just borrow one instead). I put all the new release dvds I want to watch on reserve (sometimes the waitlist can be over a month). Plus they offer free kids activities throughout the school holidays. Do you know they also offer free internet sessions? I recommend booking so your guaranteed a computer.

Accept hand me downs gratefully. With having another boy, I have most of Kobes old clothes to pass on as hand me downs plus some thrifted vintage finds (like the sweet threads above in the photo) I picked up at the markets for a couple bucks. My kind neighbours mum also passed on a box of hand me downs. Even thou both my boys will be born in different seasons, I should have enough to dress baby 2# for atleast his first year. Im still hoping friends & family will gift sensibly like nappies, wipes & hooded baby towels if they wanted to get something for the lil one ofcourse.

Know that there will be challenges. Going credit card free hasn't been without drama. Our kitchen sink clogged up with stinky lard which I had the pleasure to unclog (I was being stingey not calling out a plumber). Im leaving the laundry sink for Luke to unclog...Yuck yuck yuck.

I now find Im more savvy with buying things I will use everyday & which will last a long time & I try to avoid any fads.

Start small. Could you cut out a bad spending habit for a week/month like chocolate, coffee, cigarettes, clothes? Just remember saving just $20 a week can lead to an extra $1040 in your pocket a year:)

**If you are seriously struggling financially, there is a FREE financial service for Australians where a financial councillor helps you work on your debt.

Happy Monday friends!
Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment