Sunday 16 August 2015

A four year old's ice cream party


Kids parties are so wasteful (but super exciting!!!) & pro-plastic & Kobes was no exception. We tend to make conscious decisions in our day to day life to minimise wastage however celebratory parties are the exception.


I decided to go low key this year. I was going to skip a birthday party but Kobe asked all excitedly for one, & with baby brother due soon I thought why not have one to celebrate him while he doesn't have to share my attention. I held it during the week which catered to mums & kidlets who didn't have work or daycare/school that day & Luke took the day off to help with set up & packaway.


Not everything went to plan. The fudge cake I made in haste the night before was left a little to available for small sticky fingers to poke & crumble. So I had to make a mad dash down the shops in the morning to buy a premade cake & topped it with ice cream lollies. The rainbow jelly in orange slices turned out to be too much effort cleaning out the orange skins to set the jelly in so I settled for plastic cups (which were washed & recycled afterwards). The heart shaped bird seed hangers we made to go with the party favours didn't set & crumbled.


Overall it was a relaxed affair with a few games chucked in for fun; I made a donut piƱata which Kobe could pull a tab & out came the goodies (I enjoyed watching the kidlets make a mad dash to the goodies!), pass the parcel (with recycled wrapping paper & also catalogues lol) & "where does this go into recycling/rubbish" game (I use to play this game with Kobe all the time & surprisingly 2 of his mates were avid recyclers:)). I think the best part was when I cleverly asked all the kidlets to put on their ice cream cone hats if they wanted their lolly bags. Perfect solution to get some happy snaps of the kidlets wearing them. Man they looked cute! The only downsize was the cones were real cones which crumbled easily but I guess not a worry once the party was over as could feed to the birds.

 
And to offset all the plastic & junkfood used for the party we gifted potted flowers as party favours.

 
Kobe really enjoyed himself (plus I enjoyed making all the crafty touches) so it was a success in my eyes.
 
Happy Monday friends!
Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment