Monday 9 June 2014

DIY kids dinosaur tail

 
I feel like there are hundreds of craft projects that are girl orientated (flower crowns, necklaces, cute handmade smocks) so I got a little stumped when coming up with something to make for Kobe. Enter George (of Peppa Pig fame) & his trusty sidekick toy "Mr dinosaur" & combine that with Western Australian museum lastest dinosaur exhibit & an idea was born. The dinosaur tail (which girls can happily wear too).
 
 
1. What I used; scrap fabric, felt for the spikes, wadding out of an old cushion & elastic.
2. I basted the spikes along the right side of the fabric (along the top about 0.5cm from the edge).
3. Turn the fabric inside out & sew along the edges except the top opening ( I sewed 1cm from the edge). I didn't bother to overlock the raw edges.
4. Foldback the fabric the right way. Topstitch along the spikes.
 
 
5. Almost done.
6. Stuffed the wadding into the tail (I used a skewer to poke it right in).
7. I folded the fabric down at the top end & pinned elastic at either side. Then sewed along the top.
 
Then tada...
 
 
 
 
 
Ok the little guy really didn't want to wear it when I proudly pulled it out to show him. I even made one for his dinosaur loving friend who also didn't want to wear his, boo! But after 10 mins I asked again (with the promise of a bribe, naturally) & Kobe wore his dinosaur tail around the museum for all of 5 minutes. Yippee!
 
 
Happy Monday friends!
Grace
 

No comments:

Post a Comment