Thursday 26 June 2014

DIY: The clueless girls way to making a quilt

 
 
Seriously I started sewing this quilt when Kobe was still a tiny wee baby in his cott. This is the second quilt I have ever sewn (the first one was in home economics in high school) & I did it all with guesswork, hence my blog title. Now that Kobe is in a single sized bed I have had to triple its length from the original planned cott size. Its far from perfect, some of the triangle points don't quite match & its a tad lumpy but otherwise I think it looks pretty darn cute!
 
 
 
1. I chose this cute vintage space themed fabric with red & blue fabric to match. I cut them into triangles roughly with sides measuring 23cms with a 1.5cm seam allowance.
2. I laid them out alternating blue fabric, space themed fabric, red fabric, space themed fabric then sewed them in rows.
3.Then sewed the rows together. Some of the triangle points didn't match up but I kept on going (eventually).
 
 
 
4. As I used an old quilt which was quite lumpy I didn't want it twisting inside the quilt cover so I topstitched some of the seams down to the old quilt.
5. Then I put the right side (ie. the printed fabric side) of the front & back of the quilt cover together & sewed 3 of the sides together. Leaving the bottom of the quilt cover open.
6. Turn the fabric inside out revealing how the quilt cover will look & folded the bottom seams up inside the quilt. Because the quilt was so bulky (& I broke a sewing needle on it) I had to dodgily handstitch along the bottom seam.
7. I forgot to take photos of the fabric before I cut it up so here are bits of the spaceman print.
 
 
Tada. Lil one testing the finished quilt. Perfect for snuggling in on these chilly Winter nights & mornings. I can only pray that the 7am sleep ins he has been treating us to will continue F.O.R.E.V.E.R :) & he wont revert back to 5am-6am...
 
 

Happy Thursday friends!
Grace

#Sidenote; Im sure there are easier & proper ways to sew a quilt, this is simply my how to version:)

No comments:

Post a Comment