Saturday 21 November 2015

Minimizing waste



Originally I was going to do plastic free November which is pretty much plastic free July but thought why am I putting in extra effort for one month only, why not make more changes to reduce waste (then what I already do) & continue on from that.


*Investment pieces which help me tread lighter on this planet by reducing my wastage.
*Drawstring bags to take to the grocery shops to store mushrooms in (so I stop using the brown paper bags).
*Keepcup (or Thermos), to store coffee on the go or if I want to grab a takeaway coffee.
*Bee eco wraps (the blog header photo features a wrap covering the homemade bread); these wraps are an alternative to using gladwrap on sliced fruit/veg, sandwiches, cheese. (They aren't recommended to cover spicy greasy food thou).
*I made cloth bowl covers. Handy to cover leftovers.
*Camelbak drink bottles have a lifetime warranty although I do have to replace a straw because Kobe bit it?!? Still testy over one bottle being lost at prekindy so now I just use them on trips out or at home.
*If I shop at a butchers/bakery, to take a container so my meat doesn't come home wrapped in plastic & paper. I do tend to buy my meat at grocery shops so it comes home in gladwrap:(
**On my wishlist to buy is stainless steel straws. Bit nervous about Kobe chipping his tooth on the straws. But never realised how many straws we sent to landfill a month:( Im a sucker for McDonalds Frappes...

I started documenting what was thrown out in October so I knew what areas I had to work on.

Plastic wastage
*Bandaids- 11.
*Straws- 14
*Grocery plastic bags (used as bin liners)- 14
*Toothbrush- 2
*Gladwrap (single uses on meat & cut fruit bought at the shops)- 9
*Yoghurt soft plastic tops- 9
*Tea foil packets- 3 (I usually don't drink tea but I had the flu & I was desperate)
*Chocolate wrappers (goodies eaten from Royal show & Halloween trick or treating)- 15
*Plastic gloves- 2
*Toilet brush- 1
*Medicine foil wrappers- 6 (from my pain medication after having a C-section)

**The following plastics I recycle at Coles; packaging from bread/pasta/fruit & veg. I save about half a grocery bag of plastic going to landfill a week:)

I know I can always do better.
Anyone have an alternative to bandaids?

Some websites that can help reduce, renew, recycle.
*Eco warrior princess
*Biome
*Ohdeardrea
*Planet Ark

Happy Saturday friends!
Grace





No comments:

Post a Comment