Saturday 29 March 2014

Earth hour & a community garden festival

 
 
Words like "eco" & "sustainability" get thrown around a bit that a lot of people use them then forget to back it those words with action. I know Im guilty of using them to preach about certain environmental issues then I go backflip & buy the lastest fashion magazine & drool over the lastest throwaway fashion. Eh FAIL...
 
Habits are hard to break but I shall keep on trying to reduce, reuse, recycle. Im pretty good on the latter I mean it isn't hard to recycle & I am trying to reduce wastage on food by trying to grow my own small supply of fruit & vegetables. They seem to always go to waste in our house...
 
I needed inspiration so I gathered lovely friend Helen & headed to this community garden festival but unfortunately the weather gods let it rain down like buckets. My boots (& poor Helens jeans) was a bit dampened but the rain didn't wash away my enthusiasm for wanting to get back in my garden (not sure if you can call 2 small raised garden beds the neighbours cats use as kitty litter a garden but each to their own). I feel like there is zero advertising for community gardens, this is the first one I heard of, I thought they were myths only seen on tv like on River Cottage. Who knew you could hire a plot to grow what you want, you can learn to compost, gain general knowledge of how to look after your garden, or you can hire the passata or olive press. I doubt I could grow enough tomatoes or olives to be able to make use of them but just thinking about it if I could makes me smile. One small step at a time Grace...
 
 
 
I got home just intime to charge up some appliances before I turned unnecessary appliances like the tv & light switches off before Earth hour. Yes its cheating but I cant validate sitting in the dark (ok not necessary true as I had a giant candle plus one of those big ass torches) for an hour when I could use the time to watch River Cottage on a fully charged up portable dvd player. I love this show the foraging episode makes me want to run about town pillaging wild flowers, wild apples, wild parsnip if I only knew where to go other than the local farmers markets. So I sat on my bum, wrote this post & now plan to turn my barren raised garden beds into bountiful produce. I usually give up once the catepillars dine on the seedlings alfresco style but I shall persevere. Wish me luck that my idea doesn't just stay an idea & is out to fruition.
 
 
Happy Saturday friends!
Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment