Friday 24 July 2015

D.I.Y; A donut pinata

 
My lil man turned 4 the other week & to celebrate I held a small party. There wasn't a theme this year like his cowboy & indian theme 3rd birthday party last year just mainly junkfood (like most kids parties) so I decided to make a donut piñata because they are so much fun to watch the lil ones make a mad dash for the treats. The sugar comedown afterwards, not so much...
 
 
I used an empty cereal box, plus some sturdier cardboard for the round donut circles (off an old boardgame lid), a dinnerplate & Kraft peanut butter lid for the donut circle templates, scissors, Mont Marte acrylic paint, paint brush, masking tape, clear drying glue, stapler, velcro, a mix of bright beads & sequins, & wool (for tying up the piñata).
 
 
1.Using the sturdier cardboard, I cut out 2 large circles (from dinner plates, they measured roughly 23cms in diameter). Then in the centre of the circles, I traced out the smaller circle (donut hole) using the Kraft peanut butter lid. Then cut that out. I measured the inner circle so that I could cut out a strip of cardboard (from the cereal box) to join around the edges of the "donut hole" with masking tape. This strip was roughly 12cms in width.
2. It should look like this side view on. Like a large sewing bobbin.
3. Next I measured the outer edge of the large circle. I cut a strip to fit around the side of the "donut" with the same width of 12cms & used masking tape to secure it. I left an opening for the treats to come out.
 
 
4. It should look like this side view on.
5. I painted the whole outside of the "donut". Then to seal the opening to hold the treats in. I stapled some Velcro on. This way Kobe could peel open the piñata & watch the treats fall so his friends could run & grab what they wanted. Plus I can reuse it when needed.
6. I went crazy splashing the glue, sequins & beads on. (I only did one side). Also make sure you have clear drying glue, it gives a nice donut glaze look. I did a coating of glue over the top of the sequins & beads for extra support.
 
And...
 
 
 
Last of all tying the donut piñata (filled to bursting point with treats) to a tree. For an extra touch I tied mini donuts next to it. I wish I tied them lower so the kids could of ate them off the string. Oh well next time.
 
 
Happy Friday friends!
Grace
 

No comments:

Post a Comment