Thursday 9 March 2017

Some simple tips I do to cut down on wastage at fairs & festivals



Organization the night before is the key. If you pack everything just before leaving or morning of you will definately forget something.

Ideas to cut back on wastage are;
*Cloth bags, so compact once folded to bring. Plus you never know when you may buy something.
*Cloth napkins, say no to paper napkins. This isn't easy at an ice cream stall though.
*Eat everything to avoid food waste or bring a container to haul leftovers home.
*Pack snacks for the little ones. It will save you impulse buys. (They will still whinge over the sweet treats on sale).
*Bring container to receive food.
*Keep cup or ceramic cup for beverages.
*Byo egg cartons if you buy local eggs.
*Bring stainless steel straws.
*Avoid buying packaged goods. Say no to food/ produce wrapped in gladwrap.
*If you know there is a drink fountain at the event, utilise it. Even top up your reusuable water bottle.


I pack my "Byo cutlery set". This is such a saviour; some napkins (or a teatowel), stainless steel cutlery, stainless steel straws, & bibs. I wrap all the cutlery with the napkin & tie with some ribbon (ribbon was given to us in a gift but any tie would work fine). And usually a container/ plate to purchase food with an extra bag to haul dirty dishes home in. I packed this to a food truck event last week, we still ended up with foil & a plastic fork (as I walked away to order at 2 foodtrucks hence I didn't see them preparing so I couldn't say no to foil or fork;() so I washed both with the foil being recycled & the plastic fork to go to utensil drawer (eventually this will go to landfill when it breaks from usage). I brought the coke can for Luke from home as a family member brought us a carton when I was explaining to her if she bought cans over bottles, the aluminium is infinitely recycled. She drinks soft drink like water so I was trying to hint at using less disposable bottles used. The message was misread:(


 
 

If this list is too overwhelming, don't fret just do a couple things off the list which you feel comfortable with & gradually add.

I would love to hear your waste free festival tips so feel free to share in the comments below.
Happy Thursday friends!

Grace



No comments:

Post a Comment