Wednesday 28 January 2015

Greener beauty treatments

 
Well I can say Im far from being green; I like driving my car, yoghurt pouches & water balloons a little too much. But I am working on greening up my beauty routine. Its all about balance & striving to do the best I can to minimise what chemicals are absorbed into my body.
 
 
I have neglected my hair for far too long so I went to the hair dresser & chopped off all my dead ends. Unfortunately this meant the collarbone length I was hoping for ended up a far bit shorter. (Oh well it could be worst one time I went to the hairdresser with a photo of Nicole Richie's hairstyle & came out looking like Carol Brady off the Brady Bunch. Not happy Jan!!!). After the initial shock of absolutely hating my new do I realised I could amp up looking after my hair. My hair type is wavy with oily roots, dry ends & dry scalp. Lucky me... but I have experimented with a few DIY beauty treatments that help maintain it to normalcy.
 
*Apple cider vinegar; this stuff is gold. I haven't touched conditioner in over 6 months as I use this instead. As a guide I use a capful to about 600ml water. I rinse it thru my hair & the vinegar smell pretty much disappears within a few minutes leaving my hair feeling soft.
 
*Lemon; once a week I squeeze some lemon thru my roots & rinse off after a few minutes. I swear this combined with the vinegar are slowly lightening up my roots & one day I hope they will catch up to my old dye job.
 
*Egg hair mask; my friend Kaysey (thanks!) gave me this idea. Any eggs that are close to use by date which we wont be eating, I massage thru my hair then wash off. I am careful not to leave it on too long that it goes stiff. I try to do this once a month.
 
*Saltwater; yes salt water. Next time you head to the beach, scoop up some ocean water in an empty bottle then spritz it on your hair. It gives my hair a bit of volume & keeps the waves bouncy.
 
*Jojoba oil; to moisturize my dry scalp I massage some jojoba oil once a week & leave it overnight (I sleep on a towel so no residue gets on my pillow) then wash it out with vinegar in the morning.
 
*Shampoo, I experimented with the no poo hair experiment for a month which the bicarb left my scalp extra dry (& itchy) & my hair stiff & smelly. Instead I have opted for Baby U goats milk shampoo (which Kobe uses also) for the time being.
 
And a few more treatments too...
 
*Yoghurt; any plain yoghurt nearing use by date, I cut up some mint & mix it up as a face mask. It leaves my face feeling fresh. Sometimes I add oatmeal which I find soothing. Apply it to a cleansed face. Its best to avoid this if you have an intolerance to dairy which my poor friend discovered after her feet swelled up straight afterwards, eek!
 
*Coconut oil; handy as a lipbalm if you run out. I do favour Sukin lip treatment. (Coconut oil also leaves my hair ends moisturized & shiny).
 
*I also tried this footscrub which was lovely & substituted the sea salt for sand (its a good exfoliator).
 
  *To relieve pms, I burn rose geranium oil in an oil burner to calm me (I also recommend staying away from men & eating Lindt seasalt chocolate in moderation- ha!)
 
 
 
Happy Wednesday friends!
Grace
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment