Monday 15 August 2016

What I learnt from "Plastic free July" while travelling with kids


My household is not zero waste but we do try to limit as much wastage as possible. Unless you shop at a bulk store, it feels like everything in the supermarket is wrapped in plastic. I decided to do "plastic free July" as best as I could. We as a family actually snuck away to Melbourne for a few days in July while undertaking this challenge.

What I learnt while travelling
* I knew there was going to be slip ups. I preordered our meals on the plane when I booked in June & they came out wrapped in plastic. I kept the plastic cutlery (one way & refused for trip home) which I cleaned & can be used for the next kids party. Next time I'm flying on a trip 4 hours & under, I will eat at the airport & prepack some bakery snacks in a paper bag or cut fruit in a reusable container.
*I did pack some bribes for Kobe which were store bought cookies & chocolate with the plastic recycled at Coles (via their Redcycle program). I need bribes & can not avoid this until I can make chocolate as good as Cadbury.
*I forgot to ask for no straw in my drink at one eatery so I binned a straw. I did pack my stainless steel straw but didn't end up using it.
*Being away for so long, I couldn't puréed any food for Dylan (as we stayed in a hotel) so I bought a stack of baby food in glass which I washed & recycled in one of many recycle bins dotted around Melbourne. I underestimated how much I needed & bought 2 plastic wrapped baby food (Woolworth metros where I shopped, stocked only the plastic wrapped pouches).
*Although I packed 2 Camelbak drink bottles for Kobe & I, which I filled up at Cafes who offered free jugs of water,  street water fountains or from boiled kettle water which cooled overnight. I still had to buy 6 large single use water bottles. We were on our feet walking most the day & I did not want anyone passing out from thirst. Plus Dylan needed water for his formula drink. I recycled these in the recycle bins. In future I will pack 4 large reuseable drink bottles.
*I didn't pack a keepcup & I really needed a coffee so I binned one polystyrene cup my coffee was in. In hindsight I should of asked what sort of cup my coffee was coming in & refuse. I did keep & reuse a cardboard cup to be used for growing micro herbs.


*Perth & Melbourne airports have recycling bins so if you have stuff to recycle which had foodstuff in, you can do a quick trip to the toilets sink to wash then recycle in the recycle bins. Which is exactly what this weirdo did lol.

Other Wins during Plastic Free July
*I found a shampoo bar which replaces my bottled shampoo (which I have a bit left to use). I'm on the lookout for a decent conditioner or recipe for one to make. I have been using apple cider vinegar but my hair is quite dry & needs more moisture.
*I pack a cutlery kit when I'm out & about now. Which is basically a couple forks, spoons and stainless straws wrapped in a tea towel. Now I won't be trapped getting plastic cutlery. I still have to make a massive point of asking for "no straw" when ordering a drink.
*That standalone bakeries are ok with you bringing a large container to take home pies in but when you pull out a cloth bag (aka a clean pillowcase) to cart bread home they still try to wrap it in plastic first?!? I explained my plastic free mantra & since that first time, the bakery staff happily place my bread in my pillowcase without weird looks (they must be use to me- winner!).
*Deli departments at the large supermarket were A ok putting sliced meat into plastic reuseable containers brought from home (apart from one incident).  I just have to remember to take the price sticker off when I go back.
*I use plastic grocery bags I get from family who would just throw them out which I use as bin liners but now have discovered that large brown paper bags are super handy as a bin liner (compostable too). These are usually from boutiques & fast food chains (I have lovely people who offload their old brown bags or paper gift bags to me). I only put dry rubbish into these or the paper will tear.
*Baked my own crackers which aren't as good as the store bought ones but they will do.
*No more plastic wrapped laundry powder for me as I have gone back to making my own laundry powder which is 1 grated soap, 1 cup borax, 2 cups washing soda crystals & a few drops of lavender essential oil. I use half of one laundry scoop per load.

Other Failures during Plastic free July
*I can not bring myself (yet) to live without the following plastic wrapped goodies; Panko breadcrumbs, Cadbury, toothpaste, wraps, baby corn puffs (they come in foil), yoghurt & cheese (I can't find blocks of it in any deli/market unwrapped). I was able to recycle most of the plastic except for the toothpaste, cheese & foil wrappers. And every now & then I forget my cloth pillowcase bag at the bakery so I get a plastic wrapped bread.
*I won't deny my boys a balloon or their loot bag full of plastic wrapped lollies & chocolate at parties. It's too much for me to expect my 5 year old to be accepting of being the only child going without these at a party. He is however a champion recycler at home.
*I did accept strawberries as gifts which came in plastic containers (which I use to sort craft bits & bobs).

I made a vast improvement upon last year & hope to keep this up as well as I can throughout the year.

Happy Monday friends!
Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment