Wednesday 25 February 2015

DIY: Pirate treasure map

 
I decided to sew the lil one a sturdier pirate treasure map (out of fabric) since his cousin ripped up his paper treasure map. I was quite lucky that I had a small stash of calico to use as the base. I quite like the fact I left the edges raw so that over time the map will have frayed edges & look "old".
 
 
 
 
 
 
I cut up an old fleecy baby blanket for the "water". I raided my craft drawers &  found scrap fabric for the island, felt for the "sharks", ribbon for the map marker, beads for the "cocunuts" & lace for the "water" ripples. It was quite tedious to hand sew it all (except the green & blue fabric which I machine sewed on) but it turned out quite great. I finished it off with a key (for the treasure chest) which was hidden in the "mountains" off an old necklace & some old hoop earrings for the "treasure".
 
 
 
I roadtested the treasure map among some of Kobe's lil friends. They loved the scavenger hunt & I got lucky that the place we had the treasure hunt had some elements that looked like the map like the "mountains" & coconut trees. (I pretended to be the octopus). They were quite happy with the easter eggs hidden in the tiny chest I buried (I couldn't find any chocolate coins at the last minute). The only near disaster I had was when I buried the trunk the second time too & forgot to mark it (with a shovel) so we really had to find it:)
 
 
Happy Thursday friends!
Grace
 
 
 
 
 

5 comments:

  1. Awesome, Grace! I love the fabric map, reminds me of what my Mum used to make us when we were kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes I was happy to finish hand sewing it. Lil one adores it so its a winner so far. Would be nice if it lasts long enough to hand down to his children. You should see if your mum kept the treasure maps, they would be vintage treasure maps now:)

      Delete
  2. amazing blog! I've just spotted it!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, such kind words:)

      Delete
  3. amazing blog! I've just spotted it!:)

    ReplyDelete